Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Honoring Those Who Paid the Ultimate Sacrifice

Last Thursday, May 27-- Colonel John McHugh, who was killed in Afghanistan on May 18 when a suicide bomber blew up the convoy he was riding in, came back to Ft. Leavenworth where he was laid to rest. Nearly 150 Patriot Guard motorcyclists participated in the procession as people lining the route, many holding American flags of varying sizes, looked on. Ron, myself, Adam and Lucey stood at the edge of the road as we paid our respects. It was so emotional for us. It's close to home. This man was a little younger than Ron. He had a wife and 5 children and the youngest is 5. He was also a grandfather. Andrew and Christian's 6th grade class was also on the curb each holding an American flag. I know it was difficult for these young kids who have parents deployed. Please pray for The McHugh Family as they grieve the loss of their Hero.

Our friends, Katie and Ben, arrived on Friday to be with us on the Memorial Day weekend.

Saturday morning we were up bright and early with Andrew and Christian. They are Boy Scouts and they were participating in the annual ceremony of putting American Flags on each of the 22,000 grave sites on Ft. Leavenworth National Cemetery. There were many Scouts and volunteers helping out. It was a beautiful sight.

Lucey helped out too. That's Andrew at work. Christian was off with another group in another corner of the cemetery.

Taps is playing for a burial. I looked over at Andrew and saw him saluting. My precious boy. I always tear up when I hear Taps. We live a 1/2 mile from the cemetery. This weekend we heard the 21 gun salute several times. Our Memorial Day was a little different than the average American. It's not about the beer and the hot dogs. We were reminded all weekend that our freedom comes at a cost. It's such an honor to live where we are living. It was a blessing to me and my family to spend our weekend in prayer for families who have lost loved ones.

Adam and Ben--Best Friends!
Christian, Adam and Ben.

Ben and Katie left on Sunday evening. My cousin, Heather came for a visit on Monday afternoon. Last week, her husband (Air force) left for a one year unaccompanied tour in Abu Dhabi. He left last week. We pray their year apart won't seem like forever. Heather and I had such a great visit. We had so much to say and so little time to share.
Ron made a fire in the fire pit and we made S'mores with Andrew and Christian's friends. Lucey had her first marshmallow. She wasn't sure if she should try it at first. I had to show her how yummy they are and here she is nibbling on it.
Part II of St. Louis coming soon. I haven't forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughtful comments