Monday, May 10, 2010

A Special Birthday Celebration

My Dad had a "biggie" of a birthday and it fell on Mother's Day this year. There are several of us in this family celebrating events in May (and, we take turns having "our day" fall on Mother's Day). Every year it is a concern of mine as to how to celebrate each individual, individually, and their importance in this world. May also happens to be a month filled with so many activities. Who wants to feel like an inconvenience just because their birthday or event happens to fall in a busy month. I can understand how "Christmas Birthday" people feel. ;-)

Anyway, I decided that we would celebrate my Dad on Saturday the 8th. I wanted him to have his day...his own day. After all....it was a "BIG" day. ;-)

We had a small gathering. A simple dinner party for 10.

Ron surprised me with this beautiful bouquet (an early Mother's Day gift). Perfect as the center piece.

Lucey was happy to see her Papa and to wish him a happy birthday. We've been practicing. There have been a few birthday's and her birthday is quickly approaching. She could also tell him how old he is. Nice to be reminded of your age...yes? By a two year old.

My Dad and I..."Happy Birthday, Dad!"


What's this? The men in the kitchen? So cute! Three generations. Ron, Uncle Paul, Adam and Dad.

Yes Papa, Adam is taller! I think you finally agree to that. :-) That's exactly why this picture was taken. Dad had to see it for himself. And oh, Papa has his shoes on!

The girls-- minus Lucey who was napping. Auntie M., Me and Mom.

I wanted one picture before we sang "Happy Birthday." Lucey was being such a pickle.

Blowing out the candles.....all two of them. ;-)

A few little gifts, cake and ice-cream...A blessed day.

I was praying last week that our weekend would be filled with blessings. That each person would feel loved and appreciated. I was reading scripture and came across this verse....

"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago."(Ephesians 2:10, NLT)

It's encouraging to know that each of us is "God's masterpiece," "a work of art." This scripture, quoted from the Apostle Paul's letter to the early church at Ephesus, reminds us of our God-given potential. How do we treat a "Master Piece?" a "Work of art?" With respect, with love. We also need to encourage one another. Celebrating a person's birthday I feel does just that...it celebrates a new year, life.
I'm already surrendering May 2011. It will be a May filled with emotion (just thinking about it makes me teary). I'll be planning birthday celebrations and Mother's Day but also Adam's graduation, Ron's change of Command and a possible move....yikes! Life....All Good!
XOXOXO
Beth
(next post...Mother's Day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughtful comments