Saturday, September 11, 2010

Freedom Walk 2010

September 10, 2010...

The school children from the 4 different schools, faculty, family members and military here on our post walked to Normandy Track yesterday morning. We went on a Freedom Walk.

Freedom Walks were started in 2005 by Pentagon employees wishing to commemorate the attack on the Pentagon and honor the lives of those lost on September 11, 2001. They now have become a way to renew our commitment to freedom and to honor all who help us maintain our freedom especially our veterans, as well as to honor firefighters, police and sheriff's deputies. past and present.

Andrew and Christian both picked out patriotic shirts to wear to school today. I didn't have to remind them.

Lucey is ready with her "freedom colors."


Lucey and I were on our walk and we saw the Junior High students across the common ground. Christian said he could see us.

Lucey was having the best time waving her flag.

We all converged on Normandy track.

The Color Guard marches in.

We sing the National Anthem...all four stanzas. I especially love the 4th stanza. It's beautiful. We recite the pledge and then sing a medley of patriotic songs. I sat with my neighbor...I could tell she was feeling the same emotions I was feeling. A deep sadness as we remembered back to 9 years ago. Where were you? We were stationed at Ft. Polk, LA. I was at the chapel that morning.

Let us never forget.
xoxoxo
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughtful comments